Thursday, March 22, 2012

The "I" Message

This week we have been learning about parenting and something that stuck out to me as I was watching one of the videos was the "I" Message segment.  This means that instead of blaming the other person for doing or not doing something that you focus on the problem or the behavior. For example you say, "I have a problem with this mess." instead of saying, "Why haven't you picked up this mess?" or "You left the room messy." Then you state how you feel and your reason for feeling that way and then say, "I would like... help cleaning up this room."  I have found that when I criticize someone it hardly ever helps the situation because they often become defensive.  They became defensive because I'm attacking them or in other words I am attacking their character. I'm taking a marriage class this semester and I remember learning this same concept except it was with a spouse.  This is a good technique to use in all of your relationships, not just children.

No comments:

Post a Comment